Build and View Timeline
A timeline is a data visualization representing your ticket sales, page views, or other datasets you select. The Timelines feature can stack multiple timelines, allowing you to compare trends across several events or different types of data.
1. Select what you want to see in your timeline.
Create a new timeline.
- Visit the Reports section and click Timelines in the left sidebar.
- Click Create Timeline.
- Click Add Events to open the event selection menu.
- Scroll through the list or use the search field to find the events you want to add to the timeline.
- Click Select on an event to add it.
- For event series, you can click Select All, or you can click Select Events (#) to open and select from all sub-events within that series.
- (Note: You may only select up to eight events.)
- Click Done to complete your selection.
Select your datasets.
- After you have selected at least one event, you’ll see a list of possible datasets.
- Click the checkbox for any datasets you want to add to the timeline.
- Click More Datasets to see a full list of available datasets.
- For a complete explanation of what each of these datasets represents, see our Timelines and Datasets FAQ.
- Click Continue to move on to the next step.
2. Determine how you want to see your timeline.
Select a visualization type.
- In the second step of the timeline setup, click a radio button to see more information about that visualization type.
- For detailed explanations of these visualization types, see the Timelines and Datasets FAQ.
- Once you’ve selected your visualization, click Build Timeline to complete your setup.
- Your timeline will take a few seconds to load, depending on how many events and datasets you selected.
3. Explore your timeline.
Mouse over the timelines for more info.
- When your full timeline loads, you’ll see each of your individual timelines represented with lines of varying color and shape.
- Move your cursor over the graph. A tooltip will load with detailed info about that date for each event and dataset, including:
- The date/time of each event. (Note that this will vary per event for relative timelines.)
- Totals per dataset for that timeframe. Depending on the size of the intervals, these could represent totals for the selected day, hour, etc.
- Click an event in the top menu to hide it from the view. You can click the event again to redisplay that event’s timelines.
Zoom in to view deeper granularity.
- By default, the main timeline will accommodate the entire range of the data you have selected.
- Click and drag horizontally across a section of the timeline to zoom in. The timeline will refresh and display only the timeframe you have selected.
- Click Reset Zoom to return to your initial view.
Switch between cumulative and non-cumulative views.
- The default view is Line, which shows a traditional line graph with spikes and valleys for each interval.
- Click the dropdown in the upper right and select Cumulative Line to switch the view.
- The cumulative option displays values as aggregates over time — in other words, the timeline for each dataset will continue to grow vertically with new sales, tickets, etc. occurring at each interval.
4. Save and share your timeline.
Enter a title.
- Click Untitled Timeline next to the pencil icon.
- Enter a name for your timeline to save it for future reference.
- Any additional activity that takes place for the events you’ve selected will be displayed when your timeline is reopened and refreshed.
Share your timeline.
- Click Share Link.
- Now you have two options to share a link to your timeline with others. Sharing this link will make the timeline available with limited interactivity for others in your organization, as well as anyone to whom you send the link.
- Copy and paste the URL found in the Shareable Link field.
- Click the Email tab and enter an email address to send an email with a link to your timeline.
(Note: Visitors who have Impact Tickets accounts and are not part of your organization may be required to sign out to view your timeline. All visitors outside your organization will be able to view your timeline, but they will not be able to view any other information in your account or edit your timeline. Your timeline will only be accessible through your link.)
Did you find this article helpful?